« Home | Ezra Continues Attacking Dion - here we go again » | Taliban NOT Backing Down In Afghanistan » | Pro-Monopoly Farmers Win Canada Wheat Board Vote » | Mandatory Retirement Ends - Now What? » | Canada's Political Road Map » | The Simpletons Who Advocate Right Wing Thinking » | In Politics - When You Are Explaining - You Are Lo... » | John Lennon, 9 Oct. 1940 – 8 Dec. 1980 » | Has Harper Broken Election Promise To Saskatchewan? » | It's Not What You've Got - It's What You Do With I... » 

Monday, December 11, 2006 

Lawyer Gets $2.5 Million For Residential School Deal

Wow! I know that lawyers are well paid, but the lawyer who negotiated settlements for aboriginal persons who were sexually or physically abused in Canadian Residential Schools has received $2.5 million for his services.

Frank Iacobucci, a retired Supreme Court Justice, was appointed in June 2005 to negotiate with the federal government, the Assembly of First Nations and the various churches involved to reach possible settlement packages.


CBC Saskatchewan

LD:

I don't deny that the number is high, but I doubt it went to Iacobucci alone. He probably had a number of other lawyers working with him.

Also, I want to know where you can find a lawyer with 15 to 20 years experience, let alone a former Supreme Court of Canada Justice, who charges $150 to $200 an hour. I have been practicing in Nova Scotia for 5 years and my hourly rate is around $150 per hour. A lawyer like Iacobucci could easily command upwards of $400 per hour.

I'd be interested in seeing a taxation of the invoice.

As a lay person, it just seems exorbitant to me. In most other cases it wouldn't bug me but because the settlement was for inidividuals who had been abused as children, I would like to see as many dollars as possible going to the victims.

Hello,

I was hoping to find out where you got the picture of the boys in residential school. I am working on a documentary and would like to find out how I can use this photo.

Thank you,

Christa Simonds
cdgiggs@hotmail.com

Christa .. for photo credit, contact NAN Youth at:
http://www.nandecade.ca/

Post a Comment



Follow leftdog on Twitter




About Me

Archives

BANNED FOR ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR

  • -Carmichael-
  • Things I Read

    • -Canadian Political Viewpoints-
    • -ZAG-
    • -Next Year Country-
    • -Huffington Post: Canada-
    • -LEFTIST JAB-
    • -Let Freedom Rain-
    • -Informed On Information-
    • -Wellington Post-NDP-
    • -Trapped In A Whirlpool-
    • -Larry Hubich's Blog-
    • -ROGERISM-
    • -Leftdog's Daily KOS Blog Page-
    • -RIDER PROPHET-
    • -Dipper Chick
    • -Ideagist -
    • -Al Barger's MORETHINGS.COM-
    • -Canadian Cynic-
    • Saskatchewan Progressive Bloggers
    • *NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY*
    • My Zimbio
      Top Stories
    • Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    • Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites
      View blog authority
    • Display Pagerank
    • Canada's NDP
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates